Whether it’s for the big game day or a party, these Spicy Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms make a perfect appetizer that everyone will gobble up!
It’s that time of year again…. Yep, Super Bowl season! The thing is, I’m not a huge sports fan in terms of actually knowing what’s going on or who the players are. But, I do love sports culture. I’ll never say no to going to a game (unless it’s the Bears playing in the middle of January… did that once, regretted everything) and I love hanging out with family and friends to watch sports.
If I’m being honest, though, it’s mostly because of the food. The last few years, my friends and I have planned really fun Super Bowl parties that have tables full of delicious snacks, dips and appetizers.
Even though most of the food are dishes I really only want to eat once a year (looking at you, buffalo chicken dip), there are a few that are just great appetizers and snacks in general, not just during football season!
That’s where these Spicy Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms come in. They are savory, have a bit of heat and just so flavorful. Plus, they are so easy to make and come together really quickly. They also work really well to be pre-assembled and then just popped in the oven to bake when you’re close to eating.
Here’s how I did it:
First, you’ll want to make sure you wash and dry your mushrooms well. I like to just gently run them under cold water to make sure any debris is removed… mushrooms can be a bit dirty!
After they’ve been washed and dried, remove the stems and chop them into super fine pieces. One thing I love about this recipe that it uses the mushroom stems instead of tossing and wasting them! These little reductions in food waste that we can all make really do make such a difference.
Once the mushroom stems have been chopped, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan, allowing to heat for another minute or two. The spicy Italian sausage is now added to the pan with the chopped mushroom stems, fresh thyme (pull the leaves off of the sprigs) and the garlic cloves. Sauté until the sausage mixture is browned and mostly cooked through. The sausage will finish cooking in the oven.
In a bowl, combine the spicy sausage mixture with softened cream cheese, fresh parsley, parmesan . To soften the cream cheese, you can either microwave it for about 10 seconds or let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. You just want it to be soft enough to be mixable.
Once everything is combined, preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly brush the parchment paper with avocado or olive oil. Begin spooning the spicy sausage & cheese stuffed mushrooms with filling and place on the baking sheet. When finished, sprinkle each mushroom with a layer of panko bread crumbs, and place in the oven for 20 mins. Use the broil function at the very end for a minute or two to further brown the bread crumbs if desired.
You guys will absolutely love these! One thing to note: the amount of filling needed for stuffing the mushrooms will obviously depend on how large your mushroom caps are. I personally think it’s best to buy extra mushrooms and use all of the filling and then use the leftover mushrooms in another dish.
If you like this one, come let me know by saying hi on Instagram or following my Pinterest boards here!
Spicy Sausage & Stuffed Cheese Mushrooms
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme OR 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley
- Wash & dry the mushrooms, removing the stems and setting aside.
- Finely chop the stems. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil to the skillet and continue to heat for another minute or two.
- In the skillet, add the spicy Italian sausage, the diced mushroom stems, the thyme (or Italian seasoning), salt, pepper to brown the sausage, about 7 minutes.
- When sausage is almost done browning, add 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs to the skillet and garlic cloves, stirring to combine. Continue browning mixture for another 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese, spicy Italian sausage mixture, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil.
- Spoon mixture into each mushroom. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle remaining panko on each mushroom (a thin layer on each).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Broil on high for 1-2 minutes at the end of cooking time to further brown the tops if desired.