Flatbread Breakfast PIzza
Breakfast and brunch typically look pretty different for us depending on if it’s the weekend or a weekday. During the week, we’re up so early that I usually pack overnight oats (a life-saver for a grab-and-go breakfast!) and some fruit. Because Mike works manual labor, he needs a bit more food than I do so I make him some scrambled eggs and toast along with snacks and a full lunch.
BUT, on the weekends, we get to go all out. I love making brunch so much because to me, it signifies a slow morning where we get to sleep in and just enjoy our time together. There’s just nothing better than brewing a pot of coffee, turning on some music and making a big brunch spread for us to fuel up on before tackling the rest of our weekend!
This Breakfast Flatbread Pizza with Gruyere and Prosciutto just might be one of my favorite recipes for a weekend brunch. It’s so quick & easy to make, so flavorful and can easily be customized to the liking of whoever is eating it.
The base of the Breakfast Flatbread Pizza with Gruyere and Prosciutto is a frozen flatbread or naan. Either work just fine! My husband prefers naan, but it’s tricky to find gluten-free naan so I typically go for a GF flatbread.
I personally prefer to use shredded gruyere cheese because it melts very easily. I like to buy a small block of the cheese and use a grater until I have enough to create a layer on the flatbread. You could definitely use any cheese you desire, but pre-shredded cheese can be a bit more difficult to melt because the same added ingredients that prevent it from clumping can also prevent it getting all nice n’ melty!
In the middle of the flatbread, create a little nest in the cheese and crack an egg in. Season with some salt and pepper, add greens (arugula or baby kale) and sliced baby tomatoes if you fancy, and stick it under the broiler on high for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the egg whites are cooked. Definitely keep an eye on the flatbread the entire time it’s under the broiler to make sure nothing is burning.
Flatbread Breakfast Pizza with Gruyere and Prosciutto
- 1 frozen flatbread or naan
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 4 baby tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful greens (spinach, arugula, baby kale)
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 pieces prosciutto, torn in half
- Place on a baking sheet and layer flatbread with shredded gruyere cheese.
- Sprinkle on halved baby tomatoes and greens.
- Create a small "nest" in the middle of the flatbread in the cheese and crack an egg inside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put under the broiler in the oven on high, keeping an eye on the flatbread the entire time until the cheese is melted and the egg whites are cooked.
- Remove from oven and place rolled prosciutto on the pizza. Top with chopped parsley.