Easy Coconut Chicken Curry- the ultimate comfort food packed with veggies and so much flavor from coconut cream and spices. It’s extremely easy to make and all you need is one pan!Jump to Recipe
I LOVE making a curry-inspired dish. It’s truly a go-to for me when I don’t know how to use up a protein and veggies in my fridge because I know that curries are super versatile and so delicious. The magic of spices really shine in this one and give the dish so much flavor. It’s perfect for dinner or meal-prep. I personally love to make it during lunch and then reheat it on the stove when dinner time arrives!
So, what is curry?
There are many different types and iterations of curry and this Easy Coconut Chicken Curry is nowhere near authentic- it’s just one way that I like to use curry powder.
Curry powder is a blend of spices and just like the dish curry, there are many different versions of curry powder depending on the region it is being used in.
It was really interesting to learn that there is actually no such thing as a “curry” in India- it is just the word used to describe the gravy or sauce of the dish. But different dishes that use curry all have different names, like tikka masala, for example.
Curries are also enjoyed in South East Asia and countries like Thailand. This Easy Coconut Chicken Curry has more of a South East Asia flavor than Indian because of the use of lime juice and coconut.
How to Choose a Curry Powder
So, isn’t that cool that curry powder is a blend of spices?! Curry powder is a spice blend originating in the Indian subcontinent, but there are many different versions- and shopping for a curry powder can be overwhelming.
The first thing to decide on is if you want a mild or spicy curry powder. Most curry powders in American grocery stores that are just labeled “curry powder” are going to be mild, unless indicated that they are spicy.
Each curry powder will have different nuances in flavor, so go ahead and experiment with trying them out until you find one that you like! I personally love the curry powder from Simply Organic and Frontier Co-op.
Once you’re feeling brave enough, you can mix up your own curry powder by combining spices like turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, ginger and pepper.
Substitutes for coconut milk or cream
This recipe calls for coconut cream to achieve the delicious lusciousness while keeping it dairy-free, but if you don’t want to use coconut cream, there are other options!
I would recommend substituting coconut cream for either 1 cup of your favorite non-dairy milk, like nutpods, or 1 cup heavy whipping cream.
What are some vegetables that are good in a curry?
One reason I love curry (aside from how yummy it is), is the versatility of the dish. You really can add so many different types of vegetables or proteins and as long as you nail the sauce, it’s all going to taste amazing.
Some of my favorites are zucchini, cubed potatoes, tomatoes, snap peas, cauliflower… the possibilities are seriously endless. If you have it in your fridge, throw it in there!
Also, if you’re wanting to keep this recipe vegetarian, you can replace the chicken with chickpeas, lentils or even shrimp!
What should you serve with easy coconut chicken curry?
I personally love serving this Easy Coconut Chicken Curry with a side of rice AND garlic naan to soak up alllllll that saucy goodness.
You can also garnish with extra lime juice and plenty of cilantro and green onion.
Did you make this recipe?
If you made this recipe, I’d love if you left me a comment below letting me know what you think!
Easy Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sliced red bell peppers
- 1.2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut cream
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or substitute low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 juiced lime
- cilantro & green onion for garnish
- rice & naan for serving, if desired
- Heat a large braising pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Add a thin layer of cooking oil and continue to heat for another 30 seconds.
- Add the cubed 1.5 lbs chicken breast to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned and partially cooked, about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the tomato paste and stir to coat the chicken. Add the sliced bell pepper and red onion and stir to combine.
- Add the 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp garlic powder and 2 tsp curry powder. Stir to coat and cook the vegetables and spices for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- To the skillet, add the entire can of coconut cream and fill the can halfway with vegetable broth (about 1 cup), add it to the skillet. Add the coconut aminos and stir to combine.
- Simmer the Coconut Chicken Curry for about 15-20 minutes on low.
- Pour in the ½ cup frozen green peas to the skillet. Add the 1 tbsp arrowroot starch to a small bowl and whisk with 1 tbsp cold water. Pour into the skillet and simmer for a few minutes, allowing the curry to thicken and the peas to cook.
- Finish with the juice of 1 lime and serve with rice & naan flatbread. Garnish with cilantro and green onion, if desired.