This Creamy Mushroom and Rice Soup is so easy to make with simple ingredients like shiitake and bella mushrooms, broth, parmesan, cream and rice for a delicious, healthy soup recipe your whole family will love!Jump to Recipe
One of my favorite things in this world is mushroom risotto, and this soup is basically like risotto’s easier (but just as delicious) cousin! It comes together so easily and tastes like a restaurant-quality meal, especially when it’s served with warm, buttery sourdough.
What types of mushrooms are best in soup?
In this Creamy Mushroom and Rice soup, I prefer using two types of mushrooms: baby bella and shiitake. I like using two types because it provides some variety in flavor and shape. If you can only find one type of mushroom in the store, you can absolutely just use one. I would recommend just sticking to the total mushroom quantity in the recipe.
Another reason I like using the baby bella and the shiitake mushrooms is because I prefer to slice them differently. For the shiitakes, I slice them in strips (or julienned) so that they’re about ½-1 inch long.
For the baby bellas, I like to remove the stems and then give the head of the mushrooms more of a dice, similar to dicing the white onion.
Having the different textures and shapes in the soup is very pleasant!
How to clean mushrooms before cooking
One important thing when handling mushrooms is that you typically don’t want to wash them before cooking, because they absorb the water and therefore won’t brown during the cooking process.
But, you’ll likely want to still clean the mushrooms as they often have dirt on them. An easy way to do this is to take a damp paper towel and wipe the mushrooms down, so that you are cleaning them but they are not being soaked or rinsed in water.
Steps in making the Creamy Mushroom & Rice Soup
This soup truly is simple and easy to make!
Always start by making sure your ingredients are prepped so that you’re not having to slice and dice while cooking. It makes the whole process go so much quicker and it’s much more enjoyable because it’s less stressful.
Luckily in this Creamy Mushroom and Rice Soup, there’s really not a whole lot of prep work that needs to be done. Be sure to dice the ½ white onion and clean and prep your mushrooms by removing the stems, wiping clean with a damp paper towel, and slicing or dicing them.
- Sauté the diced white onion
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté
- Pour in the broth and seasonings
- Add the dry rice and bring to a boil
- Cover and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes
- Add in the parmesan and cream
I love using white rice instead of wild rice for a creamier soup, but you can definitely replace it with wild rice if you prefer.
One important step to note is to rinse your white rice before adding it to the soup. This cleans the rice and also removes excess starch.
How to make this soup dairy-free
If you’re wanting to make this soup dairy-free and vegan, simply replace the heavy cream with a dairy-free unflavored creamer option (my suggestion would be Nutpods) and either omit the parmesan cheese or use a vegan substitute like nutritional yeast instead.
Did you try this recipe?
Have you tried this Creamy Mushroom and Rice Soup yet?! If you have, I’d love it if you wrote a review below.
Also, come find me on Instagram & Pinterest for more recipe inspiration.
Here’s some other easy dinner ideas that I know you’ll love:
- Easy Coconut Chicken Curry
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Kale Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon and Creamy Avocado Dressing
Creamy Mushroom and Rice Soup
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 8 0z baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 cups broth beef or chicken bone broth is great for flavor, or use vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white rice rinsed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for a few minutes. Add a thin layer of cooking oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced white onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- To the pot, add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and diced baby Bella mushrooms and sauté until softened and browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the 1 tsp: garlic powder, oregano and thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt and butter and 2 tbsp of butter and stir.
- Pour in the broth and add the 1/2 cup dry white rice. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low & cover for 20 minutes.
- With the heat on low, stir in the 1/3 cup heavy cream and parmesan. Taste for salt preferences!
This soup was very comforting, perfect for a cold night.. served up with some fresh crispy bread. Loved it, 10 out of 10
Yay!!! Thanks so much, Natalie!