This one-pan chicken meal features easy, seared chicken breasts and a bright, creamy sauce made with chives, Greek yogurt and lemon for a healthy, delicious dinner.
This is hands-down my new favorite chicken recipe! The flavor is seriously addicting and it is so easy. It goes great with rice, my Perfect Roasted Potatoes, salad or roasted vegetables like broccolini or green beans. The whole family will love it!
Prepping the Chicken
One of the best parts about this meal is that the one-pan chicken is so quick and easy to cook. The key is to start with very thin chicken breasts. You may be able to find them pre-cut at the grocery store, but it is also very easy to just cut regular chicken breasts into thin cutlets.
To start, be sure that you are using a sharp knife. This is very important to ensure that you are being safe while cutting the chicken.
Slice the chicken in half, lengthwise, with your palm carefully on top of the chicken breast and your cutting board secured in place. This is very similar to butterflying a chicken breast, but you want to cut all the way through so that you have two, thin chicken breast cutlets.
Continue this process with all of the chicken breasts and set aside.
how to sear the one-pan chicken
To sear the chicken, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. To the skillet, add a thin layer of oil. I prefer using avocado oil, but you can also use extra virgin olive oil.
While you allow the oil to heat for another 30 seconds, season the chicken breast cutlets with a pinch of salt and pepper on each side.
Add the chicken breast to the skillet, being sure to not overcrowd the pan. You may need to work in batches. Sear the chicken for 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and golden brown. This is a great place to use a meat thermometer- you want the chicken to reach an internal temp of 165 degrees.
Once the chicken has cooked, set it aside on a separate plate.
Making the creamy chive Sauce
The sauce for this recipe is where all the magic happens! To make the sauce, whisk together the following ingredients:
-Plain Greek Yogurt: this is the base of the sauce and gives it a tangy, creamy flavor and texture. Make sure that you are using Greek yogurt, as regular yogurt will be thinner and not have the same flavor. If you are dairy-free, you can replace this with dairy-free sour cream.
-Chives: the chives in this sauce recipe give it the zesty, herbaceous flavor! Chives are related to onion, garlic, shallot, leeks and scallions. They are absolutely delicious and you can find them in the herb section at your local grocery store. Did you know they are also very easy to grow at home?
-Lemon: the lemon in the sauce gives an acidic bite that rounds out the flavor from the rich Greek yogurt and herbs.
-Broth: to thin the sauce, add ¼ of vegetable or chicken broth to the sauce.
-Seasonings: the other additions to the sauce are garlic powder, salt and pepper. You can substitute the garlic powder with 1-2 minced garlic cloves if preferred!
Add all of the above ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together well. Once the chicken is cooked and removed from the skillet, turn the heat down to medium-low and add the sauce.
One-Pan Chicken with Creamy Chive Sauce
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise (butterflying), but cut through completely so that you have two thin chicken cutlets from each chicken breast.
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken cutlets until ½ inch thick.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes and add a thin layer of oil. Continue to heat for another 30 seconds.
- Season both sides of the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sear the chicken on both sides for 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to work in batches as to not overcrowd the skillet. Remove chicken from skillet when done.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, chives, lemon, garlic powder and broth. Whisk well to combine.
- Turn the skillet to medium-low and add the sauce, stirring frequently, for a few minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken when ready to eat.
Im so pleased with how this meal turned out! Thanks for the great recipe
I’m so glad you enjoyed! 🙂
Just made this and it was so good! That sauce is AMAZING. Could go well with anything. Thanks for the easy, healthy recipe!
Yay! So glad you loved it! Thanks for letting me know, Emma 🙂